Frieze New York 2021 FAQs
Early bird tickets to the fair are now sold out. Buy your second release tickets now to secure your place. Buy yours here. Frieze members get special access to the fairs. Join Frieze 91 to have private access to Frieze New York with a guest and be invited to VIP events. Alternatively, join Frieze In Depth or In Print and get priority booking for early bird tickets to our next fairs. Tickets are only available online in advance.
What are the opening and closing times for the fair?
To enable social distancing, entry times are offered as 15-minute time slots – please adhere to the time on your ticket or invitation for ease of entry. You will only be allowed to enter on the specific date and time listed on your ticket. There is strictly no re-admission.
How should I prepare for my visit?
Frieze follows all government and industry COVID-19 guidelines and has introduced new measures to aid social distancing and ensure the highest standards of health and safety for all our visitors and staff. Frieze reserves the right to modify the required documents and protocols in accordance with applicable laws, rules, regulations, ordinances, and guidelines at the time of the event. Please check back before your visit.
- Please arrive no earlier than 15 minutes before your entry time.
- To enable social distancing, entry times are offered as 15-minute time slots - please adhere to the time on your ticket for ease of entry. Latecomers will not be admitted.
- Tickets and invitations are timed to allow you to enjoy 2 hours at the fair. There is strictly no re-admission.
- Visitors, including children aged 2 and up, must provide:
- A valid ticket or invitation.
- A self-assessment declaration form, which will be sent to you closer to the time of your visit.
- A letter of proof from a certified provider of a negative PCR or NAAT test result obtained no more than 72 hours ahead of your visit, or a letter of proof from a certified provider of a negative Rapid Antigen test result obtained no more than 24 hours ahead, or a proof of full vaccination obtained 14 days or more ahead of your visit, with an appropriate ID matching the name on the test result or vaccination proof. Anyone that has not completed a full vaccination course or has completed a course in less than 14 days will still need to test and provide a letter of proof from a certified provider, as detailed above.
- Temperature checks, masks and social distancing are required for all visitors, including children.
- There is no coat check. Backpacks, large bags or any items bigger than a handbag or laptop bag, are not permitted at the fair.
- The fair map is entirely digital. Download it on your phone, or print it at home before your visit. The map will be ready to download on frieze.com in late April.
The full COVID-19 guidelines to be aware of ahead of your visit can be read here.
Can I change the date of my ticket?
Tickets are non-exchangeable and non-refundable. However, if you feel unwell before or on the day of your visit, please get in touch with us as soon as possible on frieze.seetickets.com/customerservice with your booking reference number.
What makes Frieze New York different from other art fairs?
Frieze New York is distinguished from other international art fairs through innovative and rigorous programming, and focused high-quality gallery presentations that act as extensions of gallery exhibitions (either through one-, two-, or three-person presentations or themed group shows). Frieze New York offers the opportunity to encounter an exceptional quality and range of artwork, featuring the world’s most exciting emerging talents together with iconic names in contemporary art.
What is the relationship between Frieze New York and other Frieze fairs?
Frieze New York is a sister fair to Frieze London and Frieze Los Angeles contemporary art fairs. All Frieze fairs are separate editions and applications to each are a discreet process.
Who are the Directors of Frieze New York?
Rebecca Ann Siegel is the Director of Americas and Content, overseeing Frieze New York and Frieze Los Angeles. Loring Randolph is the Director of Programming for Frieze New York. Amanda Sharp and Matthew Slotover are the founders of Frieze.
How are the galleries selected for the fair?
The selection is made by a committee of gallerists who participate in the fair; the Fair Directors chair the meeting but do not vote. The Frieze New York 2021 Committee members are: Miguel Abreu (Miguel Abreu Gallery), Olivia Barrett (Chatêau Shatto), Andrew Hamilton (The Modern Institute), Andrew Kreps, (Andrew Kreps Gallery), Sophie Mörner (Company Gallery), Jacqueline Tran (Matthew Marks Gallery) and Matthew Wood (Mendes Wood DM).
What are the gallery sections at Frieze New York?
Frieze New York at The Shed is made up of the main gallery section and Frame.
What is Frame?
Frame is a section dedicated to galleries established less than 10 years ago. Galleries are selected on the basis of a proposed solo presentation. Frame allows visitors and collectors to see work by artists who have not previously benefitted from an international platform to show their work. Frame is advised by Olivia Barrett (Chatêau Shatto, Los Angeles) and Sophie Mörner (Company Gallery, New York).
What is the Frieze Artist Award?
The Frieze Artist Award is an international open call for an emerging artist to realize a major site-specific work at Frieze New York. The 2021 winner is Precious Okoyomon. The Frieze Artist Award is supported by the Luma Foundation.
What is Frieze Talks?
Frieze Talks is a program of keynote lectures, panel debates and discussions featuring leading writers and artists. More details to be announced soon.
Does Frieze produce any publications to accompany the fair?
Launched at Frieze New York in 2016, Frieze Week magazine celebrates the richness of the fair as well as the simultaneous surge of cultural events that take place across the city. The magazine is available for free at the fair.
Where can I buy tickets to the fair?
Tickets are only available online in advance. Early bird tickets to the fair are now sold out. Buy your second release tickets now to secure your place. Buy yours here. Frieze members get special access to the fairs. Join Frieze 91 to have private access to Frieze New York with a guest and be invited to VIP events. Alternatively, join Frieze In Depth or In Print and get priority booking for early bird tickets to our next fairs.
How can I hear about Frieze's latest news?
Our website offers details of all Frieze programming. For updates on Frieze New York 2021, follow @friezeofficial on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook and sign up to the Frieze newsletter.